Friday, June 7, 2013

Chicken loaf and rice, anyone...???

So, I decide to play the dutiful wife last night --- I'm off for the week, hubby's working every day.  I decide "I'm gonna make my man a meatloaf tonight!  I remember him saying he likes meatloaf, it's pretty easy... I can doooo eeeeet!!!"  and off I go to thaw the roll of lean ground beef we had in the freezer.

Lo and behold, I unwrap this roll of ground beef, and it looks... well, the best way I can describe it is that it looked like someone took a sub-size roll of bologna, wrapped it up and froze it.  It looked nothing like the ground beef I was expecting.  It looked like meat paste in tube form.  *blink*  That sounds a bit wrong.   Anyhow, I have enough sense to check the freezer bag I took it from, which proudly announces on the front that it is, in fact, "LEAN GROUND CHICKEN".  Really?  They make that in frozen tube form?  Awesome, good to know.  (Yep.  Totally aware of how disturbing frozen tubes of meat for dinner can ultimately sound.  If you'd like to read the "How to eat nothing but 100% fresh and organic food 24/7" blog, you're in the wrong place, missy.  All the power to you, but this is how my kitchen rolls!)

Long story short, my meatloaf became a chicken meatloaf.  I don't have breadcrumbs, so I found out (Google-Knows-All)... that I can use a cup and a half of All-Bran instead of a cup of breadcrumbs.  Score.  And inadvertently made it more healthy - and added a nice sweet flavour under the chicken.  Woot.  It was actually pretty damn good, if I do say so myself --- 1lb of lean ground chicken, an egg, 1.3c All Bran, sage, dried parsley, garlic powder, chopped onions, celery salt, black pepper, little bit of brown sugar... I think that's about it.  I believe it baked for about 30 min, then 40 min, and an extra 5 min to make the last basting nice and sticky.  I basted the top with Garlic BBQ sauce about 3 times while it baked in about a cup of vegetable broth (read: vegetable bouillon cube thingy, dissolved in 2 cups of water, used about 1/4c. in the meat mixture, and poured about 1/4c. over the top the 3x I basted it)

P.S. Super-easy way to make white rice a little less white: Dissolve 1 bouillon cube in 2c. boiling water (that's the default instruction on the box I have)... melt about 1.5tbsp of margarine/butter in a pan, and add the boiling water, and 1c. minute rice.   Add dried parsley, garlic powder, a little bit of salt, and a handful of peas and/or corn and/or diced carrots (and/or whatever veggie you want, really).  Leave on the heat, stirring occasionally until the rice is snowball-making consistency... and you're done.  If made with a Chicken Bouillion cube and chopped up chicken breast, you essentially just made chicken fried rice.  Nomnomnom.

I'm not about the elegance.  I'm about the easy-to-make.  Don't ask me about calories.  Couldn't tell ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment