Friday, June 14, 2013

Let me just hack up a lung first...

I have a love-hate relationship with the awesomeness of a gritty, dirty vocals.  When I say that, I don't mean curse words and screaming, or one genre in particular.  I'm talking just that smooth but gritty, gravelly, little-bit-dirty, raspy, bluesy SOUND.  I love it.  A few names; Janis Joplin has it, Christina Perri has it, Macy Gray, Amanda Marshall... A lot of my favourite singers have it.  A lot of the new "Indie" style singers have it.

I think it's because it just sounds like it's coming from deep in  your soul... like you're pulling the song from the depths... it just puts that much more feeling into the sound of the music.  I wish I could sing like that.

Small confession... I play karaoke songs on YouTube and make shitty recordings of myself just to see how I sound.  I'm pretty convinced that I sound like a 12 year old, actually.  Every once in a while I find something which I think I sound half decent singing... usually something low and bluesy.  I'm also afraid of the neighbours hearing me, so I suppose my "tiny voice" probably doesn't do me justice combined with Windows default 30-second Sound Recorder.  Hmm.

I do kinda miss singing.  Must pull out Daphne at some point. (She's my guitar.)  She's been very neglected lately.  What I really ought to do is go take lessons so I have someone holding me accountable to pick the damn thing up and actually learn more than the 6 chords I have had under my belt for 6 years.

2 comments:

  1. Install Audacity. Sound recorder is a toy. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes, I know it is - and so is the only microphone I own (I believe you gave it to me once upon a time, if that tells you anything!). Once I get a decent mic, I'll get a program worth downloading - and then I'll take your advice as always. ;)

    ReplyDelete